[ioepanel] Strategy Panel on ICANN's Role in Internet Governance Ecosystem

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 04:40:05 UTC 2013

Pindar, all,

I think that the question of "a set of principles for Internet Governance"
needs a bit more discussion in depth before we decide whether, and if so
how, we address it.

My view:

There have been over the last couple of years many groups trying to
establish sets of principles (and rights) related to Internet Governance.
Hartmut and Debbie have given us two just today. In the IGF contex there
are maybe two dozen proposals from different origins. You win if you bet
that they are different. They don't only differ in how they slice the pie
but also in how the pie is made.

That means that not all give the same weight to, say freedom of expression.
Some start with the right to life. Others are more concentrated on
Internetsy stuff.

One approach I like particularly is the one by Frank LaRue, the UN Special
Rapporteur for Freedom of Expression, an eminently reasonable guy. He says
simply (and was picked up as a resolution in the UN Human Rights area): let
the same rights be true online as are offline. Don't do anything online
that curtails a right that exists offline. And, if you are going to limit a
right (say freedom of speech is limited by slander, national security and
public peace; or say you need to violate privacy for surveillance) let the
same rules apply: the limitation of a right has to occur exceptionally, for
a very limited and well defined purpose, and explicitly by law or judicial
order.

I know this is now "rights" and not "principles" but these stark examples
illustrate what happens with either rights or principles: there are many
views and ways to express them, and they don't really converge.

In fact, in the IGF environment there are not one but several efforts to
compile the sets of principles, to collate them, and to see whether there
are any commonalities.

Coming back to ICANN very specifically, you PIndar (and Vint and I for
sure!) may remember the time and discussions it took us to hammer together
the Core Values embodied in ICANN's bylaws. And they still have a lot of
leeway: "free markets where appropriate"...

So I'm not keen in trying to produce a complete set of principles or
anything like it. Maybe a set of minimal principles and still we'll see
trouble among us.

I'll take this one step further: this evening in Buenos Aires Fadi
addressed LACRALO (Latin America and Caribbean At-Large (Internet users)
Organization, a body of ICANN. He said one objective of our and especially
the "big" panel chaired by President Ilves of Estonia is to define
multistakeholder in one clear, single definition, because there are too
many and that causes trouble.

My only comment on that (which I will convey to him in the morning) is that
having multiple definitions of multistakeholderism instead of a single one
is not a but, it's a feature.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty