[ME ICANN] Montreal ME Space statement first draft for your comment

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at icannpolicy.ninja
Wed Oct 9 12:23:46 UTC 2019

Hi,

If I’m understanding this correctly, then I’d agree with Hadia on this. The GNSO has been working on PDP 3.0 for quite some time (considerably longer than the Evolving ICANN’s MSM project has been going on), and like Rafik said, there should be some very tangible outcomes very soon. I believe the general intent of PDP 3.0 (I stand to be corrected on this) is to enhance the efficiency of the the GNSO’s PDP, and improve participation from other ICANN SOs/ACs in gTLD policy development.

It might lead to less openness in participation in PDPs There will likely be PDPs moving forward, which are not open to general public membership in WGs. Instead, at least some will likely be populated with fixed representation from different ICANN SOs/ACs, similar to the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data EPDP Team, however, in certain circumstances, a tradeoff of less openness (not an absence of open participation) in order to improve efficiency might take place. This would only be one of many aspects of attempted improvements using PDP 3.0.

Still…, as Hadia says, I’d advise that the outcome of implementation of PDP 3.0 be reviewed prior to supporting a parallel process to achieve the same objectives the GNSO has been pursuing. Otherwise, ICANN might find itself dealing with two duplicative and competing processes taking place to improve efficiency of gTLD policy development.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Amr