[social-media-wg] SoMe Strategy Document

Susannah Gray susannah.gray at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 19:33:42 UTC 2018

Hi John,

Thank you for sending this. A couple of comments below:

On 03/06/2018 10:23, John Laprise wrote:

> At Large SoMe Strategy
>
> Distributed ALAC Social Media (SoMe) Strategy
>
> Purpose: To enhance global engagement with At Large and build awareness

- Who do we want to engage with us - our fellow At Large colleagues,
other SO/ACs, general Internet community and/or the general public?

I believe we should have different strategies and approaches depending
on who we are communicating with and why and this should be the first
thing we document so we are all on the same page about what we're trying
to achieve (happy to put together a few ideas and circulate if you like).

For example, if we want to get more people involved, the messages and
possibly the platforms should be very different than if we want to get
current At-Large members to comment on an ICANN document or plan for
upcoming sessions at an ICANN meeting.

> Constraints: Global, disparate, multilingual user base with issues of
> regional import arising
>
> Primary Media: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram

- As others have pointed out, the 'big four' only work in certain
regions and for certain demographics. Russia/China have their own social
networks and anyone under 25 is probably not on any of these except
Instagram (which, in my possibly Luddite-like view, is not going to be
of much use to us as our content and focus are not very photogenic). I
think it may be a good idea to have each RALO put forth the networks
that work for them.

> Plan:
>
> • RALO leadership should identify 5-10 top SoMe users within their
> constituencies based on engagement/followers and directly approach
> them to be deputy content curators.

- So the idea is that SoME deputies will forward relevant content to
Evin, who will then post it on the At-Large accounts (or will she be
actively following all the deputies and simply retweeting/reposting
etc?). I think this is a good plan.

However, with my organisational communications hat on and as someone who
manages numerous social media accounts on behalf of others, I'd
personally be very wary of publishing content from an official account
in a language that I couldn't understand in case it was
inflammatory/incorrect/not relevant. I guess we have to be absolutely
sure that SoMe deputies are crystal clear on what kind of content should
be disseminated. Again I think this is something that we should try to
document asap.

> • RALO leadership should select one of these deputies to be overall
> SoMe chair at the RALO level who will interact with the SoMe working
> group and with ICANN
>
> • Upon their agreement, those content curators should share their best
> At Large relevant content (in original languages)with Evin @ AtLarge
> for global sharing on At Large formal channels.

- Can we also get a list of formal At-Large channels?

> • RALOs should compile spreadsheets listing SoMe handles of ALSs and
> individual members, country of origin, and primary language of composition
>
> • These lists should be publicly shared and interested At Large
> members encouraged to connect/link/follow these account to build
> community sharing capacity

- Further, I think we need to separate true social media channels (FB,
Twitter etc) and communication tools (WhatsApp, Skype, Slack).
The former should be used to push relevant content and disseminate
information. The latter should be for discussion/news announcements as
they are closed groups populated by insiders and we're not going to
reach any new audiences by using these.

Thanks again for kicking this off!

Susannah