[IAG-WHOIS conflicts] IAG-WHOIS Conflicts call

Raymond HO arbitrator at raymondho.com
Thu Jan 29 13:55:26 UTC 2015

Thanks, Michele for sharing with us the background of this important issue to the ICANN Registrars and also to the domain name users generally. Personal Data Protection has become a generally accepted component of the human rights projection in the civilized world. Certainly there is some urgency in resolving this matter with no further delay.

If I may quote from Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation ) on the situation in the EU:

"The proposed new EU data protection regime extends the scope of the EU data protection law to all foreign companies processing data of EU residents. It provides for a harmonization of the data protection regulations throughout the EU, thereby making it easier for non-European companies to comply with these regulations; however, this comes at the cost of a strict data protection compliance regime with severe penalties of up to 2% of worldwide turnover." [1] Note: The current version contains increased fines up to 5%. [2]”  Attached is the document referred to in note [2] of this remark published at Wiki.

Regards,
Raymond