[IAG-WHOIS conflicts] Discussion paper for 1 April 2015 meeting

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Tue Mar 31 22:40:01 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

To follow up on Jamie¹s note and as some IAG members may not be familiar
with ICANN¹s policy development processes, I¹d like to clarify that
revisiting the underlying Policy in this case would be a matter within the
remit of the GNSO. This is because the GNSO is the body responsible for
developing substantive policies concerning generic top-level domains
(gTLDs), a role that is specified in the ICANN Bylaws.

As Jamie has mentioned, it is open to the IAG to recommend that the GNSO
consider reviewing the Policy, but the actual decision whether to initiate
such a review would be a decision taken by the GNSO Council. The Council
makes that decision after a series of prescribed steps are taken, a process
designed to ensure that the issue has been fully scoped, and community input
provided and considered (more details on the process are in the GNSO¹s PDP
Manual, among other governing documents:
http://gnso.icann.org/council/annex-2-pdp-manual-13nov14-en.pdf).

In the present case, it may be helpful to note that the Policy adopted by
the GNSO Council in late 2005 appears to be relatively general in nature. As
such, making quite a few changes to the current procedure could still fall
within the scope of the Policy. Before determining whether a review of the
Policy itself is desirable, therefore, the IAG may wish to consider whether
(and if so, how) the current procedure ought to be changed to suit current
needs. The earlier paper that was put out for public comment, the subsequent
report of public comments received and the discussion paper circulated by
Jamie are intended to assist the IAG with this task.

For your reference, the current Policy reads as follows:

"In order to facilitate reconciliation of any conflicts between
local/national mandatory privacy laws or regulations and applicable
provisions of the ICANN contract regarding the collection, display and
distribution of personal data via the gTLD WHOIS service, ICANN should:
* Develop and publicly document a procedure for dealing with the situation
in which a registrar or registry can credibly demonstrate that it is legally
prevented by local/national privacy laws or regulations from fully complying
with applicable provisions of its ICANN contract regarding the collection,
display and distribution of personal data via the gTLD WHOIS service.
* Create goals for the procedure which include:
>> Ensuring that ICANN staff is informed of a conflict at the earliest
>> appropriate juncture;
>> Resolving the conflict, if possible, in a manner conducive to ICANN's
>> Mission, applicable Core Values and the stability and uniformity of the Whois
>> system;
>> Providing a mechanism for the recognition, if appropriate, in circumstances
>> where the conflict cannot be otherwise resolved, of an exception to
>> contractual obligations to those registries/registrars to which the specific
>> conflict applies with regard to collection, display and distribution of
>> personally identifiable data via the gTLD WHOIS service; and
>> Preserving sufficient flexibility for ICANN staff to respond to particular
>> factual situations as they arise.
* The GNSO recommends the ICANN staff consider the advice given in the task
force report as to a recommended procedure.²

I hope this background is helpful.
Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary Wong