[IAG-WHOIS conflicts] Dual Trigger Proposal

Raymond HO arbitrator at raymondho.com
Thu May 7 13:37:23 UTC 2015

Thanks, James.

I read your Zero draft put together for discussion.

I note that the words “collection, display and distribution of personal data” via WHOIS are used repeatedly in this draft.  Given the opinions of the article 29 working party, the 2/2003 opinion, in particular, which raises, inter alia, concerns on the searchable WHOIS facilities (reverse directories), I wonder if “collection, display and distribution of personal data” via WHOIS is too narrow. Directive 95/46/EC uses the term “'processing of personal data” which means “any operation or set of operations which is performed upon personal data, whether or not by automatic means, such as collection, recording, organization, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, blocking, erasure or destruction”.  But we must bear in mind that at the time when the Directive was adopted in 1995 the internet had barely begun.  My colleagues must wish to consider if it is appropriate to adopt this definition in our draft.

Regards,
Raymond