[CCWG-ACCT] Session #3 Day 2 Frankfurt F2F-13:00 UTC Notes

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Wed Jan 21 00:13:52 UTC 2015

Dear all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CCWG ACCT Session 3 Day 2 call on 20 January are
available here:  https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/Session+%233

Notes:

Tuesday, 20 January -- session 3 (starting UTC)

Discussion about "uber" committee, its structure, function, interaction with the Board.

There are two avenues:

*       One concerns a last resort power.

*       Second it strengthening the independent review and redress mechanisms and in parallel, each
avenue will have different requirements in terms

of independence, in terms of operation, how independence is achieved and how they achieve
representativeness.

--> Could we divide work on these two items?

Comment: Don't mix bottom-up policy development and a potential dissatisfaction with implementation
of that policy.

The mechanism should not undermine the bottom-up policy development process.

 Structure of work .

To deepen cooperation with WA3, ongoing.

Definition and scoping document, to be circuited for review shortly.

Circulate to the advisors for their review and comment.

A short scoping exercise on what is meant by Avenue A and Avenue B:

- community empowerment with limited, strictly enumerated, last resort powers (collective)

- evolve IRP into independent review & redress (individual decisions)

.

For Ave A and Ave B, to scope the questions that might be sent for legal advice, about what we want
to achieve.  Very simplistic example:  under CA law, how

could a community remove a board member?  (must be refined)

Candidates as Rapporteurs for:

Community empowerment avenue:  support from Steve DelBianco and Jordan Carter

Review and Redress avenue: Becky Burr

Seeking rapporteur for ave 1.

Singapore:  Two 3 hours CCWG working sessions, Monday 16:00-19:00 and Thursday at 07:00-10:00.
Community engagement, Wednesday 10:30-12:00

Colleagues, strongly encouraged to engage with their constituencies to provide feedback on our work,
particularly after Singapore on contingencies, definitions,

work avenues etc.

Test the avenue approach, will the community be satisfied if these approaches were implemented prior
to the transition?  Enough, too ambitious, not enough?