[Ccpdp-rm] NOTES | ccPDP Review Mechanism Working Group teleconference 13 October 2021 at 20:00 UTC

Joke Braeken joke.braeken at icann.org
Wed Oct 13 21:07:57 UTC 2021

NOTES | ccPDP Review Mechanism Working Group teleconference
13 October 2021 at 20:00 UTC

  1.  Welcome

Welcome by chair Stephen

2.            Administrative matters

3.            Action items

Only action item was to send the note to icann legal.

4.            Email to ICANN legal questions

Icann legal confirmed receipt. No information yet on when we may expect to receive feedback. Hopefully by the end of the year.
Bernard: we did ask ICANN legal for feedback regarding the timeframe. Hopeful to hear back by the end of the year.

5.            ccNSO-Board meeting: introducing Retirement Policy and rationale for the policy, Q&A

Joint session: ccNSO COUNCIL & ICANN BOARD
Thursday, 28 October 2021 | 16:00-17:00 UTC

ccNSO topics:

  *   ccNSO recommended policy on the retirement of ccTLDs: introduction of the policy, its scope, why we believe it is needed. In preparation of a possible implementation process: what are the next steps from a Board perspective, and how does the roadmap look like?
  *   change of Article 10 and Annex B of the ICANN Bylaws to allow the inclusion of interested IDN ccTLD Managers in the ccNSO: what are the next steps of the process?
  *   At the end of ICANN72, Nigel Roberts will be stepping down as member of the ICANN BoD.  What are Nigel's views on his years on the Board, the relation between ICANN and the ccTLD community in general, and the ICANN Board and ccNSO specifically?
 ICANN Board topic:

  *   how to efficiently identify and work more closely with governments globally, as well as educate, train and interact when it comes to geopolitical issues relating to ICANN’s mission

Patricio: no information yet

6.            2nd reading proposed structure (IFO complaint procedure-> non-binding review -> binding review)

Update by Bernard.
Posted last week.
IFO/PTI complaint procedure => non-binding review => binding review

Non binding: simplified procedures, with reduced costs.
Agreed at the last meeting to have an interim step: non binding review

Eberhard: great idea to insert the non-binding mechanism. If the non-binding resolution resolves the matter for the ccTLD manager, and IFO agrees, it is sorted.
Bernard: indeed.

7.            Initial draft non-binding mechanism: introduction and first reading

Review Mechanism for IFO decisions that meets most requirements of the ccPDP3-RM, except for being binding on ICANN
Bernard introduces a summary of the proposed objectives.

>>> administrative objectives

Eberhard: 10.000 USD is not low cost
Maarten: with regard to the mandate. This is what we are supposed to do. But there is no room to discuss if the process was fair or followed correctly?
Bernard: Regardless of what the process is, did it meet this requirement? Good point. Are the rules being applied fairly? Will take note.
Peter: if (big if)  pain is the measure, then there won’t be a one-size-fits-all.
Eberhard: figure is too high. Should be painful, but not overwhelming
Peter: maybe we can postpone (read: exclude from the “reading”) the fee structure, if any
Eberhard: similar to the financial contributions
Bernard: does the general framework make sense?
Maarten: 3 panelists, costs of administration. Difficult matter to solve.
Barnard: if this is expensive, arbitration is often a significant other step.

Patricio Poblete to Everyone (22:25)
Another reference point at the other rend is the cost of a UDRP case
Eberhard Lisse to Everyone (22:26)
In Germany they have something called “Prozesskostenhilfe”, with a means test and a test of at least some prospects of success.
Peter Koch to Everyone (22:27)
In Germany we have tax payers who will bear the cost …
Eberhard Lisse to Everyone (22:27)
The latter will be very difficult and add another layer, so I am not particularly advocating this.
But, the point is it is not only for Criminal cases
Yes, Peter, and ICANN has Auction Proceeds. And, we are doing this for the ccTLDs not ICANN
Stephen Deerhake to Everyone (22:29)
New gTLD Auction proceeds should not be considered here in my view...
Peter Koch to Everyone (22:30)
_my_ point was that in the PKH case it’s wenn defined where the money will come from, in the issue under discussion we’re pushing around virtual and real cost
s/wenn/well/

>>> the administrator

No comments by the group