[CWG-Stewardship] Concern with Contract Co.

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 06:35:37 UTC 2014

Alan:

Strawman 1 was not an "internal to ICANN" proposal.  The part that you
quote refers to the IANA Functions Operator remaining ICANN.  That does not
make it an internal to ICANN approach.  The current proposal also leaves
ICANN as the IANA Functions Operator.  By that measure, the current
proposal is just as much "internal to ICANN."

An "internal to ICANN" approach would be one where there was no external
entity (legal or otherwise involved) and oversight, accountability and all
of the other roles currently performed by NTIA are performed by bodies
internal to ICANN.

You go on to say that there was "clearly no other entity holding the
contract."  This is incorrect.  I draw your attention to the section
"Documentation to Replace NTIA Contract," which reads:

*Service Level Agreement*.  The OPRC and ICANN will enter into a Service
Level Agreement for the performance of the technical and administrative
IANA functions.  The SLA would run for an initial term of three years and
would be renewed upon the agreement of the OPRC and the IANA Functions
Operator.

A "Service Level Agreement" is a form of contract -- so there is clearly a
contract.  And it states that the "OPRC and ICANN will enter into" this
contact.  So there is clearly an "other entity" holding the contract.

You also state that the OPRC is an "internal committee." This is also
incorrect.  The section on legal status of OPRC states "*Legal Status*.  The
OPRC will be a committee rather than a separate incorporated entity.  [The
committee may be considered an “unincorporated association,” and will be
domiciled in [California or the U.S. or Switzerland or some other place] to
the extent that the committee has a legal identity.]."  Nowhere does this
state or even imply that the OPRC is an ICANN Committee.  Indeed the fact
that there is a discussion of domicile and that OPRC will enter into an
agreement with ICANN can only lead to the conclusion that the OPRC is
external ICANN.

I stand by my earlier statement -- I don't think an "internal to ICANN"
proposal was ever put on the table within the group prior to Frankfurt in
any kind of tangible, concrete fashion.

Greg

--

*Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*

*666 Third Avenue **ï** New York, NY 10017-5621*

*Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022

*Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428

*gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*

*ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> *

*www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*