[CWG-Stewardship] FW: [IOTF] Rationale for PTI Staffing Recommendations

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Thu Jun 16 11:19:56 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I also am very keen to discuss on the basis of Greg’s comments.

Like many ccTLDs, Afnic was created as a separate entity separated from a
larger, well known Academic institution. The retention challenge was
certainly even higher at that point because there was no guarantee on
funding or even on the viability of the domain business at that point.

>From that experience, I can share some potential ideas for consideration to
balance retention and independence, both in the short and long term for
icann :

-          Ensuring that benefits, career perspectives and all other aspects
of Icann HR policies remain accessible to PTI employees should be starting
point. I’m sure lawyers can find a way to address this requirement.

-          Secondment could be used for existing Icann employees, for a
duration of 3 year maximum, in order to provide continuity

-          New hires could be directly employed by PTI (with the same
benefits as other staff) so that, over time, a smooth transition can be
achieved.

I am confident that an adequate balance can be found, adequately addressing
the CWG requirements as well as legitimate staff expectations.

Best

Mathieu