[CWG-Stewardship] Fwd: Letter of Instruction from CWG to ICANN re Community Agreement.DOCX

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 00:46:46 UTC 2016

All,

I've given a good deal of thought to this Letter of Instruction and how the
Names Community will operate under the Community Agreement.

The Community Agreement allows each of the Operational Communities to
communicate to the IETF Trust through the CCG Co-Chair appointed by that
community.  Given this ability, it's actually unnecessary to route any of
the Names Community's actions through ICANN (as signatory) after the
appointment of the Names Community co-chair.

We really only need ICANN to do two things -- sign the agreement and
communicate the appointment of the CCG Representatives (including the
Co-Chair).  Routing other actions through ICANN just causes unnecessary
complications.

In order to implement this working model, I've proposed fairly extensive
changes to the Letter of Instruction.  I'm attaching a clean copy (easier
to read) as well as a track changes copy (to show the changes).  The
original version is also attached for convenience.

We will still need to appoint the CCG reps, and figure out how the CWG (and
the Chartering Organization Co-Chairs, when there is no CCG) instructs the
CCG reps, and how the CCG reps carry out their duties generally. But that
is not part of this Letter of Instruction.

I look forward to comments.

Best regards,

Greg