[Discussion-igo-rc] Protections for IGOs/Red Cross Red Crescent - Clarifications from the ICRC/Red Cross and Red Crescent

Stephane Hankins shankins at icrc.org
Fri Feb 17 12:15:02 UTC 2017

Dear Mary, dear Tom,
Dear all,

Further to Mary's recent message soliciting clarifications on the list of
Red Cross and Red Crescent identifiers for which permanent protections are
requested, as per the advice provided by the GAC in its past Communiqués
to ICANN's Board, please find below our responses to Mary's questions. We
are also copying below our last messages (30 january 2015 and 4 march
identifiers of the respective Red Cross and Red Crescent organizations, as
included under Specification 5 of the Model Registry Agreement.

quote from Mary's message
On the Problem Statement relating to Red Cross identifier protections –
·         The number of Red Cross National Societies - The Red Cross has,
indeed, notified ICANN that there are now 190 National Societies; in her
presentation to the GNSO Council in April 2016, this was also mentioned by
Ms. Charlotte Lindsey Curtet (noting that the 190th was approved and
admitted in December 2015:
https://gnso.icann.org/en/correspondence/curtet-to-gnso-council-14apr16-en.pdf)
. The GAC advice specifically mentioning the Red Cross National Societies
(March 2014 in the Singapore Communique; June 2014 in the London
Communique; and October 2014 in the Los Angeles Communique) and the ICANN
Board resolution granting interim protection to Red Cross National Society
names (again, preceding the admission of the 190th National Society into
the movement) expressly provide for the then-189 National Societies.
Similarly, the GNSO’s PDP recommendations on this point – dating from
November 2013 and based on GAC advice up to that date – also mention 189
Red Cross National Societies. It may therefore be helpful if the National
Society names that the facilitated discussions will focus on can be
clarified.

Response (ICRC):
(1) The current request is for the confirmation as permanent of the
protections currently recognized to the identifiers of the respective
components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
(hereafter Movement), including the names of the 190 National Red Cross
and Red Crescent Societies recognized within the Movement 1) in English
and 2) in the official language or languages (and alphabets/fonts) of
their respective State of origin.

It is correct that the number of National Societies referenced in the
GAC's past communiqués (Singapore, 2014; London, 2014; Los Angeles, 2014)
was 189 and that this number has since increased following the recognition
of the Tuvalu Red Cross as the 190th National Society as a component of
the Movement (effective 18 November 2015). Should hence be added to the
list the names "Tuvalu Red Cross" and "Tuvalu Red Cross Society".

For clarity, It should be noted that the recognition of new National Red
Cross and Red Crescent Societies is not a very common occurrence and
follows a formal process defined in the Movement's regulatory framework.
There can only one National Red Cross or Red Crescent Society in any given
State and only States that party to the 1949 Geneva Conventions are
enabled to set up a National Society. Only very few States party to the
1949 Geneva Conventions (6 out of 196 to date) have not yet created a
National Red Cross or Red Crescent Society.

We had in the past submitted our responses to series of remaining
questions pertaining to the list of National Societies' names  presently
included in the list of Red Cross and Red Crescent identifiers included in
Specification 5 to the Model Registry Agreement (most of a technical
nature linked to the font or to the length of certain names proposed for
inclusion on the list or protected names ).

We re attaching below our last messages (of 30 January 2015 and 4 March
2016) in this regard and remain available to respond to any remaining
questions. We would also be available to discuss any remaining issues in a
Telephone Conference with ICANN Staff in advance of the Copenhagen Meeting
and/or to meet with concerned ICANN Staff in Copenhagen if this may assist
further in finalizing the list.

·         The languages for which permanent protection for the National
Society names is being sought – the current suggested text is “in relevant
national languages”; the GAC advice is formulated as “in English and the
official languages of their respective states of origin” and reflected in
the GNSO PDP as “in English, as well as in their respective national
languages”. It may be that there is no substantive difference between the
current text and what is in the GAC advice and GNSO PDP recommendations,
but we thought we ought to mention this for precision purposes.

Response (ICRC): We confirm that there is no substantive difference
between the formulations “in relevant national languages “ and "in English
and the official languages of their respective States of origin”. As noted
above, the request is for permanent protections to be accorded to the
names of National Societies both in English and in the official languages
(and alphabets/fonts, as applicable) of each National Society's State of
origin.

·         Acronyms of the international Red Cross movement – the GAC
advice had sought “the same complementary cost neutral mechanisms to be
worked out … for the protection of acronyms of IGOs” for the following
four acronyms: ICRC, CICR, IFRC, FICR (Durban Communique, July 2013),
which did not include MKKK. The GNSO PDP recommendations were for 90-days
Claims Notification for the four acronyms listed by the GAC plus MKKK. It
may therefore be helpful if the exact acronyms under discussion for
protection as being the most commonly used Red Cross acronyms can also be
clarified.

Response (ICRC): The acronyms/initials solicited for permanent protection
concern the most usual acronyms of the two international organizations
within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, namely  the
International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC - in English; CICR - in
French; and MKKK - in Russian) and the International Federation of Red
Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC - in English; FICR - in French).

We remain available to answer any remaining issues that would be raised.
We shall be available to meet with concerned ICANN Staff in Copenhagen in
order to finalize the list, as this may represent the easiest option
forward.

With best regards,

Stéphane J. Hankins
Legal adviser
Cooperation and coordination within the Movement
International Committee of the Red Cross
Tel (direct line): ++0041 22 730 24 19

-----Transféré par Stephane Hankins/DIR_GEN_MOUV_CHF/GVA/ICRC le
16/02/2017 19:31 -----