[Gnso-igo-ingo] National legislation on the protection of the designations/words "Red Cross" and "Red Crescent" designations

Stephane Hankins shankins at icrc.org
Wed Jun 13 10:21:19 UTC 2018

Dear Berry, dear Thomas,
Dear all,

(1) As agreed during last week's Working Group call, we have reviewed the
legislation of the 21 countries/High Contracting Parties to the Geneva
Conventions, which National Red Cross or Red Crescent Societies have
requested the reservation of the words/designations "Red Cross" or "Red
Crescent", and thus, as a variant of their usual or commonly used name.
These include Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil,
Cambodia, China, Czech Republic, Finland, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Lithuania,
Norway, Malaysia, The Netherlands, Palestine, Paraguay, Somalia, Sweden,
Tanzania, Turkey and Ukraine.

Once again, I would like to emphasize that all High Contracting Parties to
the 1949 Geneva Conventions (196 in total) enjoy a formal obligation to
protect the designations and names "Red Cross" and "Red Crescent" from all
forms of unauthorized or improper use.

[…]

In many jurisdictions, such protections apply directly in the domestic
legal order without the need to adopt national implementing legislation.
This is generally the case in States of the Civil Law tradition that are
generaly qualified as "monist legal systems". For those States, the
prohibitions on misuse of the names apply, in principle, directly in the
national legal order. The situation is different in States of the Common
Law tradition, which habitually require an international treaty norm to be
translated into the domestic legal order through the adoption of domestic
implementation legislation. These are generally referred to as "dualist
legal systems". The supremacy of international law is generally considered
to apply however in dualist legal orders and it is generally understood
that a State cannot evoke municipal law as the reason for the
non-fullfilment or for evading its international obligations.

Without entering into the "monist" vs "dualist" debate, it should be noted
that a majority of the 21 States on the list, would mostly qualify as
Monist legal orders.

(2) The attached list includes relevant extracts of national legislation
in force in the above mentioned States confirming either or both

i) the entitlement of the National Society in the country to make use of
the designation or words "Red Cross" or "Red Crescent";

ii) the protections of the designations and names "Red Cross" and "Red
Crescent" (by implication in the official national language or languages).
We have not systematically included the translation of those articles in
national languages, but these are available on our Website and national
implementation database.

In several cases, we were not able to find national legislation protecting
the designations of the emblems, but only of the emblems themselves - this
stands as an anomaly or as an omission by the national legislator. We
would hence recommend however that the GNSO confirm the reservations of
the designations/names "Red Cross" and "Red Crescent" for all 21 National
Societies as one of their commonly used names - bearing in mind, at a
minimum, the good faith duty for States to abide by their conventional
obligations under the 1949 Geneva Conventions (even if national
implementing legislation may be lacking).

NB: For memory, we had provided in the past an extensive list (and
extracts) of national laws from different States protecting the "Red
Cross" and "Red Crescent" designations (including the United States, the
UK, etc.). Please refer in this regard to our message of 6 September 2017.

Kind regards,

Stéphane

Stéphane J. Hankins
Legal adviser
Cooperation and coordination within the Movement
International Committee of the Red Cross
Tel (direct line): ++0041 22 730 24 19

The ICRC - working to protect and assist people affected by armed conflict and
other situations of violence. Find out more: www.icrc.org

This e-mail is intended for the named recipient(s) only.
Its contents are confidential and may only be retained by the named recipient
(s) and may only be copied or disclosed with the consent of the International
Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). If you are not an intended recipient please
delete this e-mail and notify the sender.