[gnso-rpm-wg] FOR REVIEW: Additional Documents & Action Items from 1 March 2017 Working Group call

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Sun Mar 5 22:39:45 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find attached two additional staff-prepared tables for your review as we prepare to go into our meetings at ICANN58. These are tables that do for TMCH Charter Categories 1 & 2, and again for Categories 4, 5 & 6, what was done for Category 3 that we discussed on our last Working Group call, i.e. tabular comparison of the specific Charter questions with the STI recommendations, text of the Applicant Guidebook, and other relevant documentation prepared for the 2012 New gTLD Program Round. Please note that in the interests of time, these tables are being circulated to everyone at the same time and so they have not yet been reviewed by our Working Group co-chairs. These two documents, as well as the table for Category 3, have also been uploaded to the Working Group wiki: https://community.icann.org/x/_pHRAw.

From the last Working Group call, the action items captured by staff were the following:

1.       Working Group to consider forming a sub group to consider whether, for “design marks” there is a discrepancy between the intended scope of the TMCH (as indicated by the STI recommendations and Applicant Guidebook language) and its application by Deloitte

·         Question: Should this work commence after further feedback is received from Deloitte?

·         Volunteers so far: Martin Silva Valent, John McElwaine, Rebecca Tushnet

·         Note: Check with Deloitte if one reason for the language and scope of the Guidelines on this point was practical and/or technical considerations due to the TMCH having to accept trademarks from all jurisdictions, but not all jurisdictions distinguishing between a standard word or character mark, and a design (or device or image) mark

2.       Working Group to clarify with Deloitte if they accepted geographical indications purely either because the G.I. was a registered trademark or one that was demonstrably protected by a statute or treaty.

Finally, staff is working with the co-chairs to have meeting agendas for our two ICANN58 sessions finalized. We hope to have these to you all by this Wednesday. Note that there is no Working Group meeting this coming Wednesday, so that our next meeting will be at ICANN58, on Saturday 11 March 2017 at 10.15 a.m. Copenhagen time (for those joining the meeting remotely, please see the email from Nathalie Peregrine that provides the call-in and Adobe Connect details).

Thanks and cheers
Mary