[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Formal Appeal of IGO PDP actions of Chair, Liaison, and Staff (was Re: Intention to File another Section 3.7 appeal (was Re: Our next meeting and Result of consensus Call: IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms WG meeting on Tuesday, 12 June 2018 16:00 UTC))

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Mon Jun 11 18:41:38 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

I've not received any response to the Section 3.7 appeal I filed yesterday,

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-June/001254.html

but I'd like to add to it, to reinforce it. According to the GNSO
Operating Procedures v3.3 (30 January 2018) -- first document at:

https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/procedures
https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/op-procedures-30jan18-en.pdf

"The Chair, with support of ICANN Staff, if required, is expected to
circulate the draft agenda to the WG ideally at least 24 hours in
advance. At the start of a meeting, the Chair should review the agenda
and any proposed changes to that agenda." (page 54)

It is now less than 22 hours before the next scheduled meeting, and no
agenda (nor any documents that are not replete with errors) has been
circulated:

FYI, here is what an "agenda" looks like:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2017-November/000900.html
(an example from the IGO PDP in the past --- had to go way back to
find one that was "proper")

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2018-May/003109.html (an
example from the RPM PDP)

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2018-May/021320.html (an
example from the GNSO Council)

INTA put it well, when these Working Group Guidelines were being developed:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/working-group-guidelines/pdfN3FHBo2u9y.pdf

"the Committee applauds advance circulation of WG meeting agendas, but
circulating the agendas 24 hours before meetings provides insufficient
lead time for WG members to review the agendas in light of the other
professional and personal obligations of WG
members. "

While the 24 hours wasn't increased, that demonstrates why it's
important to give people time to prepare and to be able to respond
thoughtfully, and why sending it in late hurts members.

It seems to me that the Chair/Staff are again lackadaisical in taking
all the time in the world for themselves, but not giving members
commensurate time. That's fundamentally unfair, and reinforces the
need to provide the necessary time required to complete our work. It
would take a superhuman effort to complete our work in what is now 6
days, given we've still not received various draft documents, and
there's still much to do to finish off a final report properly (3 or 4
weeks seems feasible, if and only if people continue to drive the work
forward).