[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Formal Appeal of IGO PDP actions of Chair, Liaison, and Staff (was Re: Intention to File another Section 3.7 appeal (was Re: Our next meeting and Result of consensus Call: IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms WG meeting on Tuesday, 12 June 2018 16:00 UTC))

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Sun Jun 10 20:19:06 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

As promised, as per section 3.7 of the GNSO Working Group Guidelines:

https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/annex-1-gnso-wg-guidelines-30jan18-en.pdf

I hereby invoke the appeal mechanism, as the Chair, Liaison (Susan)
and Staff are "not performing their role according to the criteria in
Section 2.2." and furthermore are working to sabotage the final report
of this working group through the unilateral imposition of
unrealistically short deadlines for the report which would negatively
affect its quality. Furthermore, they are not following the correct
procedures for a Consensus Call, although they falsely claim to have
already completed one.

On May 25, 2018, they opened up what they called a "Consensus Call",

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-May/001213.html

even though a real consensus call requires that the opening of a
consensus call include (1) a nearly complete final report and (2) an
initial designation level of consensus for each recommendation. I
pointed this out in a call before that May 25, 2018 email but was
ignored. I further pointed it out in email on June 6, 2018:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-June/001219.html

with examples of 2 other PDPs.

Furthermore, to understand appropriate deadlines for editing documents
(which we've not even received to date) it is educational to look at
the response times of the Chair Petter Rindforth (and prior co-chair
Phil Corwin, when applicable), Heather Forrest (GNSO Council Chair)
and Susan Kawaguchi (Liaison). If their response times were
superhumanly fast, then they might have a case for expecting everyone
else to respond very fast to draft final reports, edits, and so on.
However, their response times are slow, at best. For example:

i) Phil/Petter -- weeks to schedule calls for the first Section 3.7
appeal (initiated in December 2017). 5 days sought to respond to my
first written document (which is obviously much shorter than the final
report). Obviously a single response from a small group (2 people)
whose interests are aligned will take much less time than editing a
document where there are more group members and obvious divisions,
where it will take multiple edits and an iterative process to come to
agreement on final text.

ii) Heather -- her typical turnaround time to respond to emails has
been on the order of 1 *week*. And that's when she even bothers to
respond at all.

iii) Susan -- even longer gaps in response times. e.g. March 14 2018
"office hours":

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-March/001095.html

with no summary report until a month later.

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-April/001111.html

And that was a *3 page* document. I made comments on it, was forced to
write an "Everything wrong with the summary report" email on April 26:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-April/001139.html

(attachment at bottom of that page) and pointed out 2 weeks later that
obvious issues I'd raised earlier had still not been addressed:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-May/001140.html

iv) Petter: today's email regarding obvious issues in yesterday's
document (falsely claiming to be "Results of a consensus call", but
which is in fact just an initial designation level, a flawed one at
that) is telling:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-June/001252.html

Rather than go back and fix the multiple obvious errors, and reissue
the document immediately with a sense of urgency and in a timely
manner, he takes a lackadaisical approach, procrastinating and forcing
others to ultimately have to redo his work. He's happy to take all the
time he wants to create his documents, but then others are expected to
make substantial comments on a yet to be issued nearly final draft of
a final report in an impossibly fast manner.

That's inconsistent and asymmetric, holding others to a standard that
he himself doesn't uphold for his own substandard work.

On April 26, 2018, Susan stated:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-April/001138.html

"It is the role of the WG, not the liaison or the Council, to drive
the effort to a final document for presentation to Council."

But, on May 10, 2018, she claimed:

https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/transcript-igo-ingo-crp-access-10may18-en.pdf

"This was a decision made by GNSO Council leadership and we’re going
to move forward with the current agenda. " (page 4)

and

" Paul Keating: Okay, Susan, can you commit that you're not
going to release a report for filing – or for consideration by the
Council prior to us completing our consensus process? I’m asking you
point blank, yes or no.

Susan Kawaguchi: Yes, point blank, yes."

But, as I pointed out above, we've not had a proper consensus call yet
(i.e. we've not seen the nearly final draft report, nor had the
initial designations which accompany it, and the usual 2 weeks to make
changes, and usually a week or so to tidy up the final document.

Furthermore, the May 24, 2018 GNSO Council meeting transcript
demonstrates that there was no resolution passed compelling a June
deadline for this PDP, see:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2018-May/021353.html
https://gnso.icann.org/en/meetings/transcript-council-24may18-en.pdf
[pages 22-26]
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2018-May/021364.html

It was a "decision" that didn't come from the working group members,
but was imposed on us.

Page 25 of that transcript even acknowledges that the Chair of the
GNSO Council doesn't *have* that kind of decision-making authority in
the first place.

"That 3.7 is really an interesting beast in a sense of what it asks of
the GNSO Chair who for all intents and purposes everywhere else in our
documents doesn’t have any sort of a decision making role and ****nor
does 3.7 give the chair the authority to make any decisions****, if
you like, it’s really just a reference for the discussion; if the
discussion is unsuccessful with the cochairs or the chairs of the PDP
then the matter gets discussed with the chair." (emphasis added)

Thus, any claimed "decision" made by "GNSO Council leadership" is
illegitimate. The proper procedure (if we could not resolve things
ourselves) would have involved allowing me to make my case to GNSO
Council, so *they* could make a decisio, via a resolution/vote. This
never happened.

ICANN staff continually inject their own policy ideas into this PDP.
That is inconsistent with their clerical role as per section 2.2.6 of
the Working Group Guidelines. Furthermore, as "secretary" (section
2.2.3), they're not adequately recording the working group's
activities. (we've yet to even see the nearly final version of the
Final Report, that we must then edit, etc.).

In conclusion, I ask that these issues be corrected, and that we be
given sufficient time to complete the final report (perhaps for the
July 2018 GNSO Council meeting, if sufficient effort is agreed to be
made to keep the work moving forward, with ongoing weekly calls and
timely edits, etc. to keep us on track).

[There had been a suggestion in May of a "Placeholder document", see:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-May/001164.html

but I'm not confident we'd be able to finish that in a timely manner,
with the expectation of a final document for the upcoming June council
meeting]

Note that I do not wish for the upcoming call (Tuesday) to be
cancelled, nor for our work to stop. This Section 3.7 appeal is simply
intended to fix the various issues I've raised, and give us sufficient
time to produce a polished final report.

I will make myself readily available for the required phone calls with
the Chair of this PDP and/or the GNSO Council chair. [feel free to
simply pick up the phone and call me!]